Monday, May 2, 2016

A Doodle a Day

I am a doodler.... I studied my way through college doodling.... and so it goes.... I find sanity in doodling.... 
I have been feeling like I gave up all the things I enjoy doing to have this career in teaching... I thought I would be able to use my creative energy there.... hahaha!  Well... technically...yes... but reality is that we are talking about applied creativity.... and I need more hands on... I have left my talents and abilities (in that area) on the shelf.... the longer I taught... the less my need to create was satisfied.... go figure.... 
I made things... I am a maker of things.... sewing... ESPECIALLY handwork.... (of course....of course)..... making bread (BY HAND! of course....) ..... making works of art- painting- drawing- 3d art projects... etc... etc... etc...... 
and..... I miss it.... desperately..... completely....... seriously........ 

So.... I decided that it is time to reclaim myself... that secret inner me- the one that is still there... craving.... 

Craving the feel of a tool in my hand...... 

So.... I have been collecting pens..... madly.... crazily..... obsessively...... 

and the pile grows.......

Why pens????? 
Because they are easy to throw in my bag and go...... 
Because they are predictable...more or less.... and I can make a piece of paper spring to life with them..... 
Because I can choose fine point, brush tip, calligraphy nibs..... black .... crisp and contrasting....... black.........

(BUT I LOVE COLOR!!!! )
So I make notes in color..... lots of notes.... anywhere.... everywhere....notes....notes......notes...... 

But the black I reserve for word art...... I have tried it in color and I don't like it..... so I switch back to the basic black..... 

and I create..... 

It is my current way to allow myself that small- obtainable - pleasure..... 

I can do a little doodle or a large one..... I can sketch it in my lap.... watching t.v...... during a lecture..... (even at church... sometimes..... lots of times..... )  
I can work for a few minutes... or for hours... (but who has hours...... ?? If I had hours on a regular basis... I would break out the paints.... haha!)   

So here I am an artist..... in a teacher uniform..... 

Don't get me wrong... teaching is great..... 

But.... I am an artist....... too....... I was born one.... it is part of me..... I have no training.... never took a class.... I don't know if I am "doing it right" or ....not.... 

I do know it pleases me..... 

SOOOOOO...... 
I am going to start posting my little doodles.... (not perfection.... just doodles)..... hope to share my ray of sunshine.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment